Thursday, May 19, 2016

Traditional market tour at Gwangjang market

The class toured one of the many market areas in Seoul - in this portion there are multiple food vendors, where we sampled around 12-15 foods, starting with 3 types of soup - the cold buckwheat noodle soup, a spicy version of that, and a noodle soup. At another stall we tried chicken feet, Korean blood sausage (sundae), fried pork skins, a mung bean pancake. Our students are awesome, they tried so many things. Cleveland stopped and suggested we tried these tiny, spicy crabs that you eat whole - crunch up the shell!  They were very tasty!! My favorite!


Above the food area, is a market for Hanbok-the traditional style of Korean dress. Our guide Halle explained the contemporary relevance of this style of dress such as holidays, weddings, and one year old birthdays.




1 comment:

  1. The market was definitely a polarizing experience. The soups we had were some of the best soups I can remember ever having and are something I will be trying to recreate myself. Pig skin, chicken feet, and blood sausage though, are not for everyone I learned, but I am really glad I tried it for the experience.

    ReplyDelete