Saturday, May 17, 2014

Hongdae

The area around Hongik University is a popular spot for students day and nighr. Shopping, eating, drinking coffee, listening to live music in the streets or public park in front of the university and going clubbing make this a crowded scene in the evenings.  We had dak galbi - a spicy chicken dish, cooked at the table, as you can see below.  These are small restaurants operated by individual owners.  The kleenex box at the table is used for napkins.  Some of the restaurants will hang rolls of toilet paper from the ceiling for the same purpose.  We had two Americans, living in Seoul, who served as guides for the evening - Ryan and Hallie.  Hallie just started her own tour company in Seoul, and I give her big thumbs up - she will be a wonderful guide.  

We ended our night at a Norebang (karaoke). Karaoke in Korea became popular in the 80's and 90's after the Karaoke machine was invented in Japan in the 70's. Norebangs are especially popular in student areas like Hongdae.
Outside of Norebang. Notice the individual karaoke rooms in the window.
Clearly, we had a good time. Some of the students are Norebang naturals! :)




4 comments:

  1. It was exciting to get an opportunity to experience life as a college student in South Korea. I thought the karaoke was very interesting, having a private room with just the group of friends was great. I believe that if it was in front of a crowd I wouldn't have the guts to sing. The experience we had that night was great from the dinner, having the spicy chicken meal was delicious. The dak galbi was one of my favorite foods that we tried on the trip.

    -Stephanie Cruz-

    ReplyDelete
  2. This had to be one of the best times I had. I love Norebang!!! If you could not tell. I am a terrible singer but love to get up and just dance or have fun. I did enjoy meeting people of different countries also living in the area. What a diverse mix of people we had that night. Korean, German, U.S citizens and more!!! I was glad that we got to also walk around this part of the town it was nice to see the city life at night! Huge change from the morning time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your not a terrible singer! It seemed like everyone had fun that night. I was so tired that night, I almost passed out on that comfy couch. It was nice to see and listen to the singers in the group. Very fun night!

      -Cecilia Nunez

      Delete
    2. I thought you were a good singer! But your dancing is what made the night. So great. I got a few good videos of that! You and Kelsey were definitely the stars of Karaoke night. Loved it.

      Delete