Sunday, May 18, 2014

Namdaemun Market

After breakfast, we journeyed to Namdaemun market for some traditional Korean commerce and street food. Namdaemun market is located next to the "Great South Gate," which was the main southern gate to the old city. It is the oldest and largest market in Korea.
It's easy to be overwhelmed by the vast amount of products available in a congested area. You name it, Namdaemun has it.
Bargains, bargains, bargains.

Seoul is a unique juxtaposition of history and contemporary.
Even the street food is colorful!




3 comments:

  1. Namdaemun was such a cool market. I felt like it was probably the busiest place we went, but I loved it! It was awesome to see so many different types of stalls and to be able to look at so many Korean made products. I think it was really great that we got to see both an open air market (Namdaemun) and a closed air shopping area (Dongdaemum). Namdaemun seemed like the place to be if you were looking for more unique products or cheaper products in general!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! And don't forget about the good-smelling seafood that you girls had here! It looked delicious.

      -- Addison Rhea

      Delete
  2. I LOVED this marketplace! I could walk up and down the streets all day and barter to my heart's content. However, this is also the place where I angered a shop-owner with my bad bargaining and ended up getting kicked out of the store. Funny, but I felt so bad afterwards!
    I loved, too, however every Korean citizen was so accommodating to foreigners. For those who did not know English, they were more than willing to communicate through hand motions and calculators. It was very pleasant; and I hope that someday some Americans will be able to rid themselves of their ethnocentric behavior and accommodate other ethnic individuals too.

    -- Addison Rhea

    ReplyDelete